The benefits of breastfeeding to new moms and babies are many—and with the right preparation and support breastfeeding can be tremendously empowering. Our lactation consultant is here to help address common issues that may arise for mom or baby.
- Pain when the baby latches (or difficulty latching)
- Nipple pain or trauma (cracked or bleeding)
- Milk supply concerns (over supply or lack of milk)
- Hard, painful or red area on breast; may be accompanied by fever, body aches, fatigue
- Maternal history of breast surgeries
- Maternal history of hormonal issues; e.g., thyroid disorders, diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, anemia
- Has fewer than 3 to 4 stools daily between day 5 and 30 if exclusively breastfed
- Less than 5 to 6 wet diapers daily after day 4 to 5
- Feeding less than 8 times in a 24-hour day (baby should awaken on own for some of the feeds)
- Feedings lasting under 10 min or over 50 min in first few weeks
- Becomes more jaundiced (yellow skin)
Shar is our lactation consultant, assisting new moms with breastfeeding. She has a bachelor's degree in nursing and worked in the birthing centers at both Metro Health and Spectrum Health. She is an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and a Certified Childbirth Educator. Shar also teaches childbirth classes at Spectrum Health.
Cheryl A. Denenberg, RN, BSN, JD, CLC
Cheryl is a Certified Lactation Counselor at our office, available for private consultation or group sessions. Cheryl also runs our monthy pre-birth Basics of Breastfeeding Class.
Lacation Support Groups
- Mondays: 10:00 am
- Tuesdays: 2:00 pm
- Wednesdays: 10:00 am
- Thursdays: 11:00 am
- Fridays: 10:00 am
Return to Work and Planning to Pump Class
2nd and 4th Friday of each month at 11:30 am
Babies are welcome. Bring your pump if you have any questions or problems with it. One-to-one visits are also available.
- Breastfeeding Basics
- la leche league
- Suggestions to Increase Milk Supply
Request an Appointment
Online through our patient portal or call (616) 949-4465
To reach Shar or Cheryl directly, call (616) 957-5165, ext. 356